Thursday, December 10, 2009

Structural Steel Programs

A couple of months ago I posted two of my structural steel programs in AISC (AMERICAN INSTITUTE OF STEEL CONSTRUCTION) 'Steel Tools' site. I just couldn't believe -- the two programs were adjudged as the best among other entries! Consequently, I was proclaimed as the 'POWER USER OF THE MONTH' for the month of December 2009 and the first winner on the category since the launching of the site.

The two structural programs are:
  • SteelPro - a Steel Design and Detailing Tool
  • Weld Capacity Calculator - a tool with CAD-like interface that calculates weld strength using INSTANTANEOUS CENTER OF ROTATION METHOD.
Upon reading my name on the AISC Steel Tools, side by side with the company's name, my boss, Steve Coates, didn't waste time unfolding the news thru email, and has these words to say:
All:
Next time you see Dem, congratulate him on getting published..!! This is a great honor not only for Dem, but for Crystal Steel as well... It shows that we are an aggressive, technical steel fabricator with employees that provide support above and beyond the normal work
...
Later, some people in our US office in Delaware began addressing me in their emails as AWARD-WINNING guy. Thanks, guys, for the recognition!

Please visit the site:

or view link from here:


2 comments:

  1. It's too bad no one seems to be commenting here. I'm using both your bolt and weld calculators and I am very, very impressed. They're very elegant and easy to use and save a ton of work. I appreciate the freebie, but you could have charged a reasonable amount of money for them, in my opinion.

    I don't do detailed weld analysis much, and it's been a long time, but the AISC manual's comments regarding eccentric loads "normal to the plane of the faying surface" has me confused.

    I understand the bit about how you calculate the effect of the shear just the same as with eccentric loads "IN the plane of the faying surface," and then add shears that are caused by the moment (See AISC MSC Page 8.14), which occur in the welds whose axis is perpendicular to the plane of the loading (sort of). However, I'm not clear as to what you're adding TO.

    Are the forces from eccentric shear (in the plane of the faying surface) assumed to be the same in all weld lines? It seems to me that you'd actually have some lines carrying more load per unit length than others. So there lies my confusion. How do I know WHAT forces to vectorally add?

    Sure would be great if you could update your software to handle loads normal to the plane of the faying surface! :-)

    ReplyDelete